Re: [avrdude-dev] winxp lpt device autodetect

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] winxp lpt device autodetect
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:57:17 -0400

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:31:32PM +1200, Alex Shepherd wrote:

> Well if you are using avrdude on the command line then it is probably fine,
> but when you run avrdude inside an IDE (I bet you use VI or Emacs right)
> that captures the output, you end up with a screen full of hundreds of lines
> of numbers and you have to scroll around inside the window to find the
> relevant success or failure message. This makes the use of avrdude in this
> environment rather painful.

Hmmm, yes, I can see that happening.  I use it directly from the
command line in an xterm, so I haven't experienced what you describe.
However, I recall that one now needs to add -v to make it do the
progress at all.  Is that sufficient for your needs or do you think we
need a seperate option to disable the progress indicator?  I'm OK
either way.  The main issue I have with the '.'s is that there is no
reference for when to expect the programming to be complete, i.e.,
they could go on for 1 line, or 5 lines, or more depending on how
large the program is.  With the numeric progress, I can tell how much
progress is made in relation to the total programming required.

Alternatively, as Joerg mentioned, on Unix we can easily tell if
stdout is a terminal by using isatty().  Does anyone here know if that
works and is reliable for Windows?  If so, the logic could be:

        if (!( -q) && isatty()) {
          output progress
        }
        else {
          disable progress
        }

That keeps it simple and should pretty much do the right thing in
nearly all circumstances.

I actually prefer this over the current mode of requiring '-v', since
I often forget to add that and am left wondering when the programming
is going to complete.

How about that?

Cheers,
-Brian