Re: [avrdude-dev] Verify errors,

From: Lou Cypher
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Verify errors,
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:09:35 +0200

On 16 Jul 2003 at 10:44, Daniel Williamson wrote:

> Hi all,  I've recently started getting verification errors with avr dude
> when programming a mega 128, initially I thought it was just one board but all
> of them can fail, though it doesn't always do it.

I followed a bit of the discussion and just would like to contribute with
some notes:

1. I'm using avrdude on two machines, an AthlonXP 1800+ and a Pentium 4 2.66,
both running Windows XP pro, with an SPI adapter based on the STK200 one, I
just modified it a bit to support in any case 3.3V ISP.
The only trouble I got was about the FlexLM licence manager (Cadence dongle),
that even when stopped keeps running "for a while" -- the only workaround I
found was to kill it and launch 3-4 times avrdude, reading the whole Flash
(even interrupting it), until that darn driver was really shut down: to check
the "port-is-mine" status I just checked a LED I applied on the RESET line
(the dongle driver resets data lines on parallel port).

2. Isn't worth trying service pack 4 on Windows 2000?

3. The part I programmed is an ATmega128L-8, running at 4 MHz with an
external resonator; I programmed some different boards, less than a few tens
of times totally.

With the assumptions above, I wouldn't say it's a timing problem cause of the
processor speed, but more a "different approach" that some part of W2K has
with that port handling, or a conflicting driver.

Lou