Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude vs avrprog

From: Erick Castillo
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude vs avrprog
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:13:28 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, E. Weddington wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2003 at 17:24, Erick   Castillo wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I've just recently started using avrdude for the Windows machine. I
> > was using avrprog with FreeBSD and it was working fine but I needed
> > something to install in a lab with only windows machines so I
> > transferred over to avrdude. For some odd reason, the hex files I
> > generated and loaded onto the controller through FreeBSD don't work
> > quite the same when I use avrdude. In fact, they don't work at all.
> > Are there any major differences between the two systems that I should
> > know about? I mean, I can't for the life of me get an interrupt driven
> > UART on the atmega16 anymore! Any suggestions?
> >
> > --Erick
>
> Sorry if I'm dense, but what was working / not working?
>
> Using same hex file:
> avrprog-FreeBSD: ok
> avrdude-FreeBSD: not ok?
> avrdude-Windows: ok?
>
> Corrections, please.
>
> Thanks
> Eric

Dense? Not to worry, I've mixed myself up quite a bit. I've made progress
however. Here it is, and I hope i'm clear.

I compile code on a freebsd machine and get a "foo.hex" file. I can
successfully download this using both avrprog-FreeBSD and avrdude-Windows.
So the hex file is properly built when I use the compiler in FreeBSD. When
I build in windows using one of the sample makefiles that came
with winavr, HOWEVER, the same source code gets compiled into something
different and into some "foo.hex" file that doesn't work on the chip.

I suspect there might be a problem with how I'm building it in the make
file, though I'm not sure since I'm no makefile expert. You can see the
makefile I use on the FreeBSD machine at

ieee.cse.ucsc.edu/~bear/bear-avr/telemetry/receive/Makefile

I can't use this same one on windows which is what makes me believe that
I'm not doing it right. I've made several makefiles using several methods
but none have worked. I've even tried to recreate the one I reference
above but i can't find a way...

In sum:
Build in FreeBSD, I download to chip successfully and the code runs
avrdude-windows -> GOOD
avrprog-FreeBSD -> GOOD

Build in Windows, I download successfully, code crashes!!!
possible problem -> makefile?

hope this clears things up.
--Erick