Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: program error?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: program error?
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:06:30 -0700

On 1 Apr 2003 at 18:50, Brian Dean wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:27:58AM +1200, Alex Shepherd wrote:
>
> Could be.  What part in specific are you trying to program, Alex? Just
> for sanity's sake, lets first lets double check the various time
> related parameters associated with the part (chip_erase_delay and
> min/max_write_delay for the flash memory).

> If those match the data sheet, one thing to try is to double the
> existing values for that part and see if it makes a difference.  It
> shouldn't, but its easy to try and if it makes a difference, then we
> learn something.

Reasonable idea.

> > So far I have found the instructions in the docs that say how to
> > rebuild with Cygwin. Is this all I need or is there more to it than
> > that?

> I can't really speak to this - Eric's our Windows guys, all I'm able
> to test with right now is FreeBSD.

Yes, the latest cygwin should be fine. My cygwin version is at the
most a couple of months old. When downloading cygwin you will need,
of cource, the whole Development tree and be sure to get the readline
and ncurses libs.

> Eric mentioned the timing differences between using ioctl() on Unix vs
> in/out instructions on Windows.  The in/out instructions are
> undoubtedly faster.  It may be possible that these signals are
> changing slightly too fast - not sure about that.  Eric - just
> wondering if you might consider placing a short sleep or something
> within a few of the parallel port manipulation functions for the
> Windows port to slow them down a little at the right places, maybe
> make this enabled with a #define so that they can be easily compiled
> out?

Yes, I had considered doing that before. We had previously talked
about this on the list. IIRC, Joerg didn't encounter any immediate
problems when he did his testing on Windows, so we left it out.

I'll see what I can do.

Eric