[avrdude-dev] getting started

From: Erick Castillo
Subject: [avrdude-dev] getting started
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:14:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi, i'm working on getting an ATmega16 programmed but avrdude just tells
me the chip isn't responding. I set up a programmer using a parallel to
serial cable and adjusted the pins in the avrdude.conf file accordingly. I
put the following lines in avrdude.conf:::

programmer
id = "custom";
desc = "customized programmer";
type = par;
buff = 4,5;
sck = 8;
mosi = 7;
reset = 3;
miso = 2;
;

Note: On the actual programmer I'm using a D Latch (hc573) instead of the
buffer (hc244?) normally used.

I have no clue where to look for the problem anymore. The connections are
all correct as I have tested this a thousand times. Is there something
inherently wrong with using a parallel -> serial cable? Is the D-Latch a
bad choice? Where should I look for problems? At this point, any
suggestions would be most appreciated.
--Erick Castillo