Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and WinXP

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and WinXP
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:09:54 -0800

Gentlemen:

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
>> It does look like from other reports I have seen recently on
>> the avrdude list that XP also interferes with avrdude in the
>> manner you describe.

That was something that I was looking for:  Was anyone else experiencing
the same weird behavior under WinXP?  I take it from this comment that the
answer is yes.

BTW: If you didn't get the word, a work-around is to run the programmer
and access the parallel port a total of 10-12 times, seperated by 2-3
second pauses.  You must do this after each re-boot.  (Go figure!)

> I think it's time we get someone with enough Win* programming
> skills to write a real device driver for this...

Sadly, I am probably qualified.  (I also know Cobol and RPG-II, even
though I don't put that on my resume for the same reasons! :-)  In fact, I
am working on this problem and should have a proper validated Windows XP
driver for the parallel port in the next day or two.  I'll be happy to
share the results...without any restrictions.

Our simple programmer and "avrdude" are using an identical technique for
direct I/O on the Windows NT/2000/XP platforms, so I'd imagine this would
be a "drop in" fix for your programmer.

If you are interested, let me know who to contact.  You will need the NT
DDK ("free" from Microsoft, except for shipping) and a copy of MS Visual
C++ (I am using version 6.0 even though Microsoft says that's not good
enough).

> --
> J"org Wunsch                       Unix support engineer
> address@hidden  http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/

Best regards,

Bruce

--