Re: [avrdude-dev] program error?

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] program error?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:39:02 -0500

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 04:26:41PM -0800, Sander Pool wrote:

> Yes, that is correct. If avrdude doesn't lock up it will work OK.

avrdude is locking up?  Hmmm ... it'd sure be nice to run that under a
debugger and break into it and see what it's up to when it locks up.

> > If so, then avrdude is working correctly - since after programming it
> > reads out the entirety of the flash, and compares the results with
> > what it just uploaded and they matched.
>
> Even without the -V flag?

Yes.  The -V flag actually disables the verify check.

> So should it maybe be the default behavior then with an option to turn it
> off?

Maybe.  Several folks have been bitten by this.  I don't really have
much experience with other programmers - do they always automatically
perform a chip erase before programming?

My personal preference is to not erase the chip by default.  I don't
tend to like it when programs do stuff like that without me explicitly
asking for it.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean