Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:24:51 -0700

On 26 Feb 2003 at 22:29, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> [Rather starting a separate thread now.  Marc, watch out for those
> "in-reply-to" or "references" headers. ;-)]
>
> As Marc Wetzel wrote:
>
> > Readline:  has to be installed separately in mingw. There should be
> > a check in autoconf/automake for this.
>
> You can as well get away without readline, and just use fgets() if you
> desire.  You only use the functionality to recall previous input lines
> in terminal mode.  Don't know, readline also requires curses under
> Unix (and with Cygwin).

If one can "just use fgets()" instead of readline, any thoughts on
eventually (not now) doing just that in the mainline code?

> > The .y script uses the thread-version of strtok (strtok_r): Is this
> > really needed?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > GetOpt: There seems to be some mailing list bashing if the headers
> > could be integrated into mingw or not, don't ask me why.
>
> Since only a simple (non-GNUish) getopt is required, you don't need
> the GNU stuff here.  Should be simple to use a BSD version if legal
> hassles prevent you from using the GNU one together with MinGW.

There are actually less hassles with using mingw; it's licensed as
public domain. As I understand it, the most restrictive licensing is
from avrdude anyway as it is GPL.

Eric