Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude documentation (was: Re: avrdude + Windows)

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude documentation (was: Re: avrdude + Windows)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:39:07 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:) On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:47:58PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)
:) > I've found texinfo to be decent. It can generate many different
:) > formats (info, ps, pdf, html). The html would better meet your
:)
:) Well, I'm not really familiar with the internal workings of texinfo,
:) or docbook for that matter.  I'm a LaTeX guy, but I figure that's not
:) even in the running :-/

I like LaTeX too. ;-)

:)
:) I was going to suggest docbook since I'm at least familiar with
:) markup, etc.  Is that how the texinfo system works?  Is it TeX based?
:) If so, I like it :-)

Yes, it is TeX based, so you'll feel right at home.

Here's what it looks like for simulavr:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/simulavr/simulavr/doc/simulavr.texi?rev=1.19&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

:)
:) I'd still like to keep the man page around, though, since everyone
:) expects a man page to be present on a Unix system.  I always dislike
:) software that doesn't include a basic man page with descriptions of
:) options, etc.  And no, stubby little man pages that say refer to the
:) "info" system don't count :-)

Agreed.

Ted