Re: [avrdude-dev] Makefile.am

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Makefile.am
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:37:12 +0100

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> Your change to Makefile.am breaks the build with respect to VPATH. We can't

Hmm, sorry.  Didn't know this.

> If bsd can't handle $< correctly, we might need to change the rule to this:

(Only GNU make can handle $< in non-inference rules.  BSD and SysV make
both can't.)

> avrdude.conf: avrdude.conf.sample
>     cp $(srcdir)/avrdude.conf.sample $@

Sounds reasonable.

> Did you try any rules like '$^' or '$?' ?  If nothing else works, we'll have
> to use the rule with $(srcdir).

I didn't try $?, not sure about that.

$^ is a gmake'ism, not present in either BSD or SysV make.

> Although, we could still just rename the config file without the .sample?

I'd say to wait with this until the split config file approach has been
implemented.

> Does the install program have a way to create a backup file when installing
> a file over an existing one?

Yes, -b is documented for BSD install (which is what GNU install features --
SysV install is completely different and IMHO way inferior; i guess auto*
will use something else on SysV).

> Ok, looks like bsd install has a -b option too, but they
> has different semantics for -S (for gnu it names a suffix for backup, for
> bsd it makes a safe copy).

That's -B in BSD install, but we don't need that.  The default .old should
be OK.