Re: [avrdude-dev] patch to convert to autoconf

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] patch to convert to autoconf
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:55:55 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:) On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:45:44AM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)
:) > Which version of autoconf are you using? (checking the FreeBSD
:) > website, it looks like the default is 2.53, and the default automake
:) > is 1.5)
:)
:)      address@hidden:/bsd- autoconf --version
:)      autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
:)
:) It appears that automake 1.5 is the latest available for FreeBSD.
:) It's not installed on my system, but that is just because I probably
:) haven't installed any ports that needed it.
:)
:) I think what I need to do for FreeBSD is within the port Makefile, I
:) need to list these as build dependencies.  Then the FreeBSD ports
:) system will ensure that they are installed before it tries to do any
:) building of avrdude.  Up until now, avrdude (avrprog) has not required
:) any external dependencies, so I'm somewhat new at this aspect of the
:) ports.  Joerg has a good bit more experience in this area than I,
:) so perhaps he can comment.

Just FYI:

I did a little digging and discovered this:

  http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#API%20versioning

This leads me to believe we should settle on at least automake-1.6.

I just downloaded and installed autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.2.
Here's some results with a bootstrap which handles AC_VER and AM_VER:

$ ./bootstrap
+ aclocal
+ autoheader
configure.ac:11: warning: AC_PROG_LEX invoked multiple times
+ autoconf
+ automake -a -c
configure.ac: 5: required file `./[ac_cfg.h].in' not found
$ export AC_VER="-2.53" AM_VER="-1.6"
$ ./bootstrap
+ aclocal-1.6
+ autoheader-2.53
+ autoconf-2.53
+ automake-1.6 -a -c
$ export AC_VER="-2.57" AM_VER="-1.6"
$ ./bootstrap
+ aclocal-1.6
+ autoheader-2.57
+ autoconf-2.57
+ automake-1.6 -a -c
$ export AC_VER="-2.53" AM_VER="-1.7"
$ ./bootstrap
+ aclocal-1.7
+ autoheader-2.53
+ autoconf-2.53
+ automake-1.7 -a -c

defaults are 2.13 and 1.4 which seem to choke a bit.

This leads me to think we should be semi ok with:

  autoconf >= 2.53
  automake >= 1.6

I think I saw that automake 1.7 is available for FreeBSD (automake17
port?)

Shall I commit this so we can start ironing out the details of the
bootstrap script?

Ted