Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude.conf

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude.conf
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 23:20:50 -0500

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:15:29PM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:

> > avrdude.conf? It would make the Makefile.am file much simpler.
>
> Fine with me. I was wondering why it was called sample to begin with.

I think it is customary to install a sample config file.  Probably not
terribly important here, but the idea is to keep from overwriting user
changes to the config file with new software updates, and risk
overwriting user customizations.  For example, when I update apache on
FreeBSD, httpd.conf.dist gets updated, but it leaves my httpd.conf
alone.

But like I mentioned, this probably isn't a big deal for avrdude - I
move the old config file of the way first before replacing it with the
new one so as not to overwrite someone's carefully crafted part
definitions that they may have added.

So - no objection from me w/regard to the sample being renamed.

-Brian