Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:24:37 -0700

On 13 Feb 2003 at 8:33, Brian Dean wrote:

> > > I'm wondering if these wouldn't be better set in the config file
> > > instead of compiled in.
> >
> > Yes, probably.
>
> Ok.  AVRDUDE is pretty useless without a config file anyway since
> that's the only way it knows about the parts so I don't think we lose
> anything by doing this.  And the advantage is that it keeps from
> hard-coding the the default values in the binary.

What default values will this config file contain? Windows users are
going to want to use this "out of the box". They're not going to want
to edit the config file to put in default Windows parallel port
device strings. I'd like to know a little more on how this would
work.

> > That way, each of the irrelevant files will yield in a null object
> > file that can still be linked without Makefile conditionals, without
> > causing any additional harm, and without poisoning a single file
> > with too many #ifdefs.
>
> Ok - I'll go ahead and split ppi.* off to par.*.  ppi.* will keep the
> low level parallel port access routines and par.* will be more
> analogous to stk500.*, retaining the higher level programmer
> interface.

I suspected as much that this would be the best way to go. I'm
currently in the middle of writing a ppiwin.c file that provides the
8 functions previously talked about. Brian, I assume that we would
want to have one ppi.h that provides the prototypes?

Eric