Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-lib-c-extentions library

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-lib-c-extentions library
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:58:51 +0100

As Rich Teer wrote:

> ...  In other words, under BSD, someone could take the AVRlibC code
> and change it, but not be obliged to return those changes back to
> the community.

And this is exactly intentional for our purpose.  In the embedded
world, people can quickly become nervous if they even feel the
slightest pressure of being obligued to make their own changes
available as source code.  There's a real (and probably much more a
fealt) danger that the liability to open up the source code for your
device could ruin your business.

Let's face it: if it's a general useful change, they'll eventually
feed it back anyway because it will ultimately reduce maintenance
hassle upon later upgrading avr-libc.