Re: [avr-libc-dev] gcc 4.0.2 v. 3.4.5

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] gcc 4.0.2 v. 3.4.5
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:22:28 +0100

As David Carr wrote:

> I just rebuilt my toolchain with gcc 3.4.5 (and Jorg's FreeBSD
> patches).  How does the performance of 4.0.2 compare?  I see that
> the 3.4.x series is still reccommended in the avr-libc
> documentation.

Well, the avr-libc's idea should not count as `recommendation' here,
at least not against trying a more recent version if available.  Take
this rather as a minimal version to use.

However, results so far for 4.0.2 aren't too exciting.  It seems GCC
from current CVS (which will eventually become 4.1.x) performs a lot
better.

> If I wanted to do some 4.0.2 experimentation, are there any
> comparable patchsets to apply?

So far, I didn't do any 4.x patches for avr-gcc, at least not the
"newdevices" one.  The patch for the 0b binary constants has been
filed officially, and can now be found in GCC's bugzilla.