RE: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500

From: ahmedf
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 00:09:47 -0500

Thanks for the info Bernard!

But here's my problem:

I tried compiling my code for target atmega162 with the avrgcc
(avrgcc20011121a.exe) and it says that the device is not supported (while
atmega161 and atmega163) are supported. Is it okay if I compile for target
atmega161 and but then download it on the atmega162 since there is not much
difference in the hardware specs between the two chips?

Also, WinAVR 3.4.1 seems to work for the target but then avr-objcopy
gives me an
error saying "Invalid bfd target". Is there any way to get this working?

I have to use Windows for this project since it's a requirement and
Linux is not
supported. Trust me, I lean the other way as well (btw, I prefer Vi :))..

Farhan.

Quoting Bernard Fouché <address@hidden>:

I worked on ATMEGA162 + avr-gcc on Linux for months without problems. Get
AvrStudio 4 (why use the old version?) just to setup the fuses if you don't
want to spend time fiddling with avrdude when beginning.

On Linux, I work with Emacs. Quiet not a Windows-like clickodrome, but
really designed by and for programmers. When I use WinAVR, I use also Emacs
on Windows. So you get nearly the same habits on both world. Emacs is a
little bit hard for the first few days. Now such a point of view is totally
subjective and everyone is convinced that he uses the best tools.

To start get all stuff needed on Linux (avr-gcc, binutils, avrdude,
avr-libc), follow the guide for the compilation order and configure options.
You can use the Makefile from WinAVR is works well with Linux and it is a
very good starting point. If you have problems, then they will be in
relation to your setup (common when starting) since avr-gcc on linux for
atmega162 (and many others) is really working.

Have fun!

        Bernard