Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc ABI: return 8-bit value from function

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc ABI: return 8-bit value from function
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 07:33:16 -0700

Benoit,

See "C WITHOUT RAM" section of this 2006 article named "Tiny AVR Serial Port Programmer".

   http://www.lightner.net/avr/2605018Lightner.pdf

...and this Webpage...

   http://www.lightner.net/avr/ATtinyAvrGcc.html

Compiling C-code for an AVR like the ATtiny2313 with few resources---and zero SRAM---is indeed practical.

But today STMicro sells tiny 32-bit STM32 ARM microcontroller chips (e.g., STM32L021D4P7, 5mm x 6mm TSSOP-14) with plenty of program flash and SRAM for under $1 US.  STM even claims "32-bits for 32-cents" in large volumes for their ARM Cortex chips.

   https://www.electronicspecifier.com/micros/stm32f030-stm32-stmicroelectronics-value-line-microcontrollers-32-bits-for-32-cents

Best regards,

Bruce