Re: [avr-gcc-list] What has changed between WinAVR 20070525rc2andWinAVR

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What has changed between WinAVR 20070525rc2andWinAVR 20080430?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:20:22 -0400

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 02:36:29 pm Bob Paddock wrote:

> > Anatoly Sokolov suggested, in another thread or two on the avr-gcc list,
> > using the gcc option "--param inline-call-cost=N"
> > Where N is between 1 and 7
> >
> > I found that for the one project that I have going now where size really
> > matters, that N=3 is giving me the smallest binary.  Oddly with
> > WinAVR-20080430 N=2 gave the smallest binary.
>
> Alas the boss has "Ship by X" on the schedule, not "put randomg settings
> in to the tools to see what happens".

Anyone tried this?:
http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/acovea/

"ACOVEA (Analysis of Compiler Options via Evolutionary Algorithm) implements a
genetic algorithm to find the "best" options for compiling programs with the
GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) C and C++ compilers. "Best", in this context,
is defined as those options that produce the fastest executable program from
a given source code. Acovea is a C++ framework that can be extended to test
other programming languages and non-GCC compilers."

I wonder if there is a "Best" for size rather than speed in ACOVEA?

--
                http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/