Re: [avr-gcc-list] Data in .noinit isn't seen by linker

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Data in .noinit isn't seen by linker
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:33:09 +1000

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:40:38PM -0400, Andrew M. Cullen wrote:
> I will try the extern declarations and report back but I can tell you now
> that the following creates no errors
>
> struct my_dsl_s my_dsl __attribute__ ((section(".foobar")));

Hmmm, my avr toolchain is a little old now, so it only gives an overlap
warning when challenged with a non-existent program section (i.e. on a
function prototype), and like yours, fails to warn about a non-existent
data section. I then tried an avr-ld from binutils 2.15.94, but it also
fails to warn. (I don't have time to build from binutils-2.16.1 just
now, on my slow laptop. ;) The warning may well be missing for avr,
then.

You could try:

avr-ld --verbose | grep noinit

to see how much mention there is of .noinit in the linker script that is
being used in your compile. If none, then there's more to choose from in
.../avr/lib/ldscripts/. (Normally 3 for each avr size, IIRC.)

Erik