AW: [avr-gcc-list] Register Usage

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/EMT) *
Subject: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Register Usage
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:57:38 +0200

It is very likely that you will get reload failures because gcc sometimes needs
three pointer registers, but you could try to use the -ffixed option for
marking X to be a "fixed" register. The failure would show up at compile time
when gcc complains that there are not enough registers in class "pointer regs"
available.

IIRC also the boot sequence will still use the X register. Also eeprom support
in avr-libc will no longer work.

Only safe register to be marked as "fixed" is r2 ... r7, IIRC.

Bjoern.