Re: [avr-gcc-list] Invalid bfd target

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Invalid bfd target
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:58:29 +0200 (MET DST)

patrick blanchard <address@hidden> wrote:

> ... it appears that binutils 2.16 is lacking the corresponding
> coff-avr.c file?

Exactly.  While I originally intented to file my AVR-COFF patch for
inclusion into GNU binutils (and thus filed my copyright assignment
with the FSF by that time), I've never really been happy with the
quality of my work.  There's at least one major bug in it, and
analysis of that problem showed me the only way to fix it would be a
complete rewrite.

By the same time, it became apparent that Atmel would finally switch
AVR Studio to ELF/DWARF-2, and eventually deprecate AVR-COFF, which
dropped my (already quite low -- I'm not a Windows and thus not an AVR
Studio user myself) motivation to actually start the rewrite to zero.

For that reason, the AVR-COFF patch is only available on an inofficial
basis.  I've upgraded the patch again for binutils 2.16 as some
targets (namely VMLAB) are still depending on AVR-COFF, but as soon as
either nobody is really going to use it anymore, or the effort to
maintain it for further binutils versions grows beyond reasonability
(whatever happens first), be assured I'll abandon that patch
completely.

For the time being, the latest version of that patch can always be
obtained from my FreeBSD port of avr-binutils, straight from CVS:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/devel/avr-binutils/files/patch-coff-avr?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain