AW: AW: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Using current avr-gcc for target ATmega2561

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/EMT) *
Subject: AW: AW: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Using current avr-gcc for target ATmega2561
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:03:09 +0200

After reading your message I conclude that you will probably not be having any
problem unless that you are planing to use pointers to functions in your
bootloader code. The jump stubs will be used *only* in case that you are using
a function pointer because this way, we could stick to 2-byte function pointers.
The second restriction for your boot-loader code would probably be that you
must disable table jump instructions by the appropriate compiler switch because
these address tables usually do not end up in the bootloader section. This,
however, probably is a restriction that applies already now.

IMO any other solution (3-byte pointers, alignment etc.) would be both, very
difficult to implement not scalable and IMO less efficient.

Bjoern.