[avr-gcc-list] AVR GCC vs BASCOM

From: Russell McMahon
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVR GCC vs BASCOM
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:45:00 +1300

My first post to this list I think (but there are 1727 messages in my GCC folder).

I don't want to start a 'religious' war but hope I might get some
measured comment re the relative merits of BASCOM-AVR vs AVR-GCC for
the AVR family. The BASCOM function library is excellent, although I'm
finding that things like PWM support don't work on all channels and
I'm having to rewrite these myself - no great effort but it means that
the development time in that area is not substantially quicker than
using assembler.

I'm using BASCOM plus assembler (which BASCOM integrates very nicely)
for the ATmega48/88 processors and have previously used it for the
ATtiny26. BASCOM will do everything I need (especially as I can drop
back into assembler whenever I need) but it would be nice to know if
people have some good reasons why I might want to consider using GCC.
Current project has several real time interrupt driven tasks plus a
little fixed point 16 bit numerical processing. Also using UART, ADC
and PWM. Real time stuff is mostly reasonably slow. A 50 uS or 100 uS
interrupt will handle that well enough.

       Russell McMahon