Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc/avr-binutils/avr-libc and the ATMega168 - wh

From: Victoria Welch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc/avr-binutils/avr-libc and the ATMega168 - what am I doing wrong, tnx!
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:48:56 -0800

On Friday 28 January 2005 15:59, E. Weddington wrote:

> [ ... ]
> I just told you that you did need them.

 I think I might have mentioned I had no clue what I was
doing here :-), I'm willing to try to figure this out in
the hope that it benefits the gentoo avr community with
ebuilds.

 It certainly is educational, to be sure :).  Much confusion
and ignorance being slowly dispelled with y'alls gracious
assistance.

Well, sigh, I thought I had the *PATCHED* versions except
for binutils....

> Those patches are for:
> binutils 2.15

Apparently got this one all together, or at least the ebuild
was successful including applying the patch.  Won't know
for sure until I get it all together and can test it
against known working stuff from my old version.

> gcc 3.4.x

Still trying to figure out this one.  Patch fails
*completely* for 3.4.3 and 3.4.0 (I thought maybe this
would help - not - same results).  No idea what I am doing
wrong with this one yet.

Got avr-libc 1.2.1 and it installed fine.

> Currently the only *released* project that has support
> for that device is avr-libc. Binutils and GCC do not have
> any *released* version that has support this device.
>
> I would *strongly* suggest that you do not use GCC CVS
> HEAD for development as it is still highly unstable. You
> can use it if you're just curious as to how the GCC
> development is going. But I would recommend that you use
> GCC 3.4.3.

I backed this off to 3.4.3 and then back to 3.4.0 - will
return to 3.4.3 and see if I can figure out why the patch
fails totally.

Thanks & take care, V.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K/7.  "Engineering is the art of making
what you want from things you can get."-  Jerry Avins