[avr-gcc-list] ponyprog interface explanation

From: jeffrey traer bernstein
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] ponyprog interface explanation
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:07:03 -0500

can anyone explain the ponyprog hardware interface to me? \
http://www.lancos.com/siprogsch.html
it's what i use but i really have no idea what's going on.
I was under the impression one needed a little more than a few diodes to get between the +-12-15 V serial and ~5 V TTL levels.
and what's the deal with the transistor for the reset?