Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to debug AT90S8515/ATmega8515?

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to debug AT90S8515/ATmega8515?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:00:54 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Guenter,

> I have been searching for a way to debug code for the
> AT90S8515/ATmega8515 using the GNU tool chain.

You can simulate the device in simulavr or simulavrxx.
With simulavrxx you are able to connect "outside" signals
to your device or you could connect multiple avr chips together.
Each simulated core could be connected to a gdb instance.
And gdb itself could be used from ddd so you have a nice GUI
for debugging on source level. It is also possible to
put a GUI on the simulavrxx to give you "mouse control"
of your IO-pins or other hardware like serial(uart) or lcd and
much more.

simulavrxx could be found on savannah.nongnu.org

> I remember seeing on the Atmel web page an application note about using
> gcc and creating debug information for AVR Studio, but I did not find it
> anymore. Did Atmel move away from supporting avr-gcc?

I have no windows... sorry, can´t help with AvrStudio.

Bye
   Klaus

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Ausgaben der TV Movie mit DVD
++++ Jetzt anmelden und testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++++