Re: [avr-gcc-list] code optimisation

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] code optimisation
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:39:40 -0400

I think Dave could be right that optimization should not be an early
concern, if ever.  However, those guys he quoted were not from the embedded
world and sometimes things can be different down here.

I'm wondering if Trevor is coming at AVR GCC from a compiler that has a
lousy built-in code optimizer?  I have used ZiLOG's ZDS II for the Z8
Encore, which is a good example of this.  By inspecting the generated code I
was able to figure out all kinds of dumb tricks to reduce the size and
increase the speed.  An example would be casting character constants like
this: (char)'\n'.  Maybe what we should say to Trevor is that tricks like
this aren't necessary with AVR GCC because the built-in optimizer is pretty
good.

Graham.