Re: [avr-gcc-list] big .hex file - explanation please?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] big .hex file - explanation please?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:41:06 -0600

Kelly McDonald wrote:

Hello list,

I made a mistake in the code below, which generated a rather large (16k)
hex file. I fixed the problem (x++ instead of a++) and the size of the
hex file went back to about 1.6k which is what I expected.

I"m linking in lcd.o and -lm and it's an atmega8.

I'm guessing that much of the libm.a stuff didn't get weeded out in the
link, but I'm at a loss for why. Any good explanations?
Hmm. What optimization setting do you have? (It's the -O flag to gcc)

You could always take a look at the resulting assembly. If you're using WinAVR take a look at the listing file (.lst), it contains mixed C and the assembly output.

Eric