Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR + eclipse

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR + eclipse
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:28:10 -0700

On 23 Feb 2004 at 12:14, Dario Carluccio wrote:

> Hello AVR Freaks,
>
> two weeks I have installed WinAVR and it works perfect for me.
>
> As Editor I use the "Programmers Notepad". It is small and nice, but I
> am searching an Editor with more features.
>
> Now I found eclipse[1]. It is working fine, but I have some few
> problems and therefore my question: Does anybody here user eclipse as
> IDE with WinAVR?
>
> Here are my problems:
>  - I don't know how to activate autosaving before compiling.

Tha'ts probably Eclipse-specific.

>  - The Error-parser detects the following make-output-line as error,
>    I don't know how to masks this, here the line.
>    ,-----
>    |  set -e; $(CC) -MM $(ALL_CFLAGS) $< \
>    |          | sed 's,\(.*\)\.o[ :]*,\1.o \1.d : ,g' > $@; \
>    |          [ -s $@ ] || rm -f $@
>    `-----

This has to do with automatically generating header file dependency
information. There is an update to the WinAVR sample makefile.

Get MFile: <http://www.sax.de/~joerg/mfile/>
This automatically generates a makefile for use with AVR GCC. The makefile
template (for the Windows version) that it uses is based on the WinAVR sample
makefile, however, it has been updated to use a new system for generating
header dependency information that is not based on the 'sed' program. This
should make things a little easier all the way around. I know for a fact that
it's faster than the old system.

> But so far the free eclipse IDE is one of the best I've ever seen.
> Maybe some of you AVR-Freak give it a try.

FYI, the reason for including PN instead of another editor / IDE, also has to
do with size (PN is small for the features it has), and no prerequisites, i.e.
you don't have to go and install a JVM to use it. :-)

HTH
Eric