Re: [avr-gcc-list] fdevopen() uses calloc?

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] fdevopen() uses calloc?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:24:21 -0500

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm just catching up on mail.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:52:02AM -0800, Dave Hylands wrote:

> One a slightly different vein, here's a printf like function that you
> can easily redirect the output anywhere:
> http://www.efgh.com/software/gprintf.htm
>
> It becomes very easy to write lcd_printf, or uart_printf, or any other
> type of output.

You can do this with Joerg's printf as well.  Just make whatever
character output routine you pass to fdevopen() behave appropariately
for whatever device you have.  For example, I've used it to printf()
to an LCD, as well as an HDSP2000 based 5x7 character display device
that is about as different from a typical UART as it gets.  Oh, I've
even used it to printf() to an SP03 text to speech module sitting on
the I2C bus, among other things.

> This particular implementation doesn't require any external memory
> allocations.

Sounds like Joerg is working on a version that does this.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean, address@hidden
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board