Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp unknown file format

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp unknown file format
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:53:17 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Helix wrote:

> Hello,
> I finally built my first program using avr-gcc in both Win and Linux.
> The compilation build a binary file.
>
> I discovered that uisp is not able to send this binary file to the 8515,
> it needs an ASCII file.
>
> I wonder how can I generate such ASCII file for sending it with uisp to my
> board.
> Could someone help me please ?
> TIA

You need to send it either an Intel Hex file, or a Motorola SRecord
file. You can convert an elf file to either format with avr-objcopy.

For elf to hex:

        avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex foo.elf foo.hex

For elf to srec:

        avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O srec foo.elf foo.srec

Then tell uisp to read the hex or srec file.

Ted Roth