RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stoooopid Noooobie question...

From: Jack Valmadre
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stoooopid Noooobie question...
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:48:45 +1000

To work with a few bits without modifying the others, use |=, &= and ~.
If you know logic, & means AND, | means OR, ~ means invert.

1 & 1 = 1
1 & 0 = 0
0 & 1 = 0
0 & 0 = 0

1 | 1 = 1
1 | 0 = 1
0 | 1 = 1
0 | 0 = 0

1 ~ 0
0 ~ 1

To set PB3 high (5V) while still leaving the rest of the pins alone:
PORTB |= (1<<PB3);

To set PB3 and PB5:
PORTB |= (1<<PB3) | (1<<PB5);

To clear PB3 (GND):
PORTB &= ~(1<<PB3);

To clear PB3 and PB5:
PORTB &= ~((1<<PB3) | (1<<PB5));

To check if PB2 is high (5V):
if(PINB & (1<<PB2))

To check if PB2 and PB4 are high:
if(PINB & ((1<<PB2) | (1<<PB4)))

To check if PB2 is low (GND):
if(~PINB & (1<<PB2))

To check if PB2 and PB4 are low:
if(~PINB & ((1<<PB2) | (1<<PB4)))

All this will be easier to understand if you write all the bits out for
each byte you're reading/writing and have a look what the logic command
does.