Re: [avr-gcc-list] stepper motor with avr

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] stepper motor with avr
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:58:20 +1000

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 07:42:25PM +0200, Remy Schleimer wrote:

> I would like to control a stepper motor with an Atmel controller (AT90S8515).
> I am planniing to use the following hardware setup:
> AT90S8515 -> L297 -> L298 -> Stepper motor

Sounds a little  bit complicated. Without a micro, it can take a dual
FF, a gate package, and some power transistors, to give forward and
reverse. Given a micro, only the power stage is needed.

> Is there someone on this list who has done sth siimilar?
> Is there experience to share?
> What about sample code?

Amongst the application notes on Atmel's web site is "AVR360: Step Motor
Controller". IIRC, the icon to the left gives you the code for the app.
note.

They talk about a 10 kHz step rate using 2% of the cpu grunt. This would
equate with 208 RPM for a 7.5 deg step, or 50 RPM for a 1.8 deg motor,
and assumes your motor will step that fast.

Presumably that L297 thingy does forward/reverse and half-step, but how
long does it take to add that to a bit of firmware?

Regards,
Erik