Re: [avr-gcc-list] New User: C++ Debugging

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] New User: C++ Debugging
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Maybe Ted can answer this.  Perhaps you need the latest CVS version
> for it.  So far, i haven't been successful with avarice neither, but i
> haven't tried too hard (i. e. i didn't try CVS again).

Accessing the sourceforge cvs repository anonymously is a major pain
in the a**. I have had problems accessing a few projects, not just
avarice. I have not had problems accessing avarice as a developer
though, which is slightly different since it is done via ssh instead
of the pserver method anonymous uses.

For example, I just got this:

address@hidden:/tmp/troth$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/avarice login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/avarice
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Nice error message, no? :-(

Hmmm... Just found this on the sf site (from 2003-06-19 04:50:08):

"""
Users encountering the connection cap (please note that this ONLY
applies to pserver-based CVS access and DOES NOT deal with SSH-based
CVS access) will receive either a recv() error or an "end of file from
server" error. Users encountering this cap should wait a few minutes,
then retry their connection. The increased connection cap established
on 2003-06-19 is expected to alleviate most of these issues.

Project administrators are encouraged to establish custom nightly CVS
tarballs (i.e. that contain a working source snapshot that their
non-member developers may download) for their project if they believe
the connection counts are continuing to impact their development cycle
(note that these connection counts will only impact non-member
developers, since member developers may use SSH authentication instead
of pserver). The SourceForge.net team will be glad to assist project
administrators in establishing a custom nightly snapshot tarball for
their project when requested by Support Request after 2003-06-19 (the
increased connection cap established on 2003-06-19 is expected to
alleviate most of these issues).
"""

If anyone is interested, I can make a snapshot tarball available for
download. I don't have time to do this regularly though. This would be
the same as a release tarball, thus would not require running
autoconf, etc. The cvs snapshot mentioned above would essentially the
same as an anon cvs checkout and would probably still require running
of autoconf, etc.

I will look into the automated generation of cvs tarballs for those
who can't access cvs anonymously due to sf not being able to handle
the load.

Ted Roth