Re: [avr-gcc-list] Possible avr-gcc or binutils problem

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Possible avr-gcc or binutils problem
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:01:20 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 06:25:06PM +1000, Nick Downing wrote:
> As you can see, I selected an output format of "Intel Hex" since this is
> the needed format for our programmer tool.  Does anyone know whether the
> switch "--oformat ihex" to "avr-ld" works properly?  Perhaps I should be
> building an "elf" binary and then extracting the code segment as "hex"??

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-binutils/2003-q2/msg00073.html

This is a known binutils bug: "avr-ld --oformat ihex" gives bad
output files.  Building an ELF binary, and then using avr-objcopy
to convert it to ihex/srec/whatever works fine, and that's what
the sample Makefiles generally do, so it has been tested a lot...

The problem is wrong masks in bfd/elf32-avr.c (elf_avr_howto_table).
Someone with more time and knowledge of binutils internals should
look into it - for now, use avr-objcopy and all should be well.
Perhaps the --oformat bug should be documented somewhere?

Hope this helps,
Marek