Re: [avr-gcc-list] .data section

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] .data section
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:30:18 +0100 (MET)

Markus Assfalg <address@hidden> wrote:

> When I compile it, the initial values of _if_cfg[] are not in the
> coff file, so I get 0xFFFF as address (initial value of empty
> flash).

They are in the .data section, not in the .text section.  Both
sections are normally concatenated in the flash image, and the startup
code then copies over the initialization data to RAM.

The .data section ought to be in the COFF file as well, but it's
probably ignored there, and even worse, once the gcrt1.S code has
been run, as you observe, unitialized ROM pattern will be copied
over.

I don't see an easy solution to this problem.  Now i realize why it's
a good idea that VMLAB uses the HEX file as input, and ignores
anything but the debugging information from the COFF file. ;-)