Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVaRICE and gdb windows port
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:14:27 +0100

As Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> > Btw., Denis or Marek, could avr-gcc be taught to emit DWARF debug
> > information, too?

> I guess avr-gcc can support DWARF if someone tells me how to do it.

No idea, i'd have to look into it, too.

> Is it enough to change something in GCC, or
> does binutils need changes as well?

Binutils don't support DWARF by now, but that doesn't matter.  This
only means that objcopy --debugging wouldn't be able to convert it
into e. g.  stabs debugging information.  A plain objcopy should still
be able to copy them since it simply copies over an (opaque to
objcopy) section named .debug.  We don't even need this, since we only
need objcopy when extracting the flash/EEPROM data.

gas can apparently already handle DWARF, although there must be
something platform specific about it.  I tried to cut&paste the DWARF
information in the .s file generated by FreeBSD's native gcc 3.2.1
into the assembler code as generated by 3.3-prerelease avr-gcc.  The
assembler complains about an unknown pseudo-ob ".value".

>  I guess it would be best to
> support both DWARF and stabs, selected with the -g... option.

That's the way it works on my FreeBSD development host.  Plain -g
selects DWARF (much to my surprise, as i just noticed), while -gstabs
creates the usual stabs debug information.  The remaining tools (as,
ld, gdb) can handle both.