Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building entire system on linux

From: Rob Ward
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building entire system on linux
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:54:49 +1300

Thanks Joerg. I shall have to give it a go.

Regards,

Rob

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Rob Ward <address@hidden> wrote:

I tend to run FreeBSD which I have come to really like. I'm just
wondering how the FreeBSD port of avr-gcc is? Is it easy to install
via the ports system?

I hope so. :-)  I've made these ports...

I've recently upgraded the avr-gcc port to a gcc stable snapshot, now
that 3.3 is marked as release candidate.  The avr-binutils port is now
based on the latest binutils release, and the avr-libc port is from
early January.  I usually upgrade the latter at least once per couple
of months or so, depending on the progress avr-libc itself experienced
recently.  I'll do this at least until avr-libc is at version 1.0, by
which time i hope to have all these ports again at a `stable' level
(gcc 3.3 is scheduled for February).

I don't know how well UISP works under FreeBSD, but i can recommend
Brian Dean's avrprog tool.  It is well suited for inclusion into a
Makefile (so you can just type "make program", and it'll build all the
prerequisites), and has a nice "terminal" mode that lets you examine
and change the various programmable bits in the device (including
fuses, etc.).  Adding new (parallel) programming hardware, or a new
AVR device is as simple as editing the avrprog.conf file.

--
Thanks in advance.

Rob Ward
--