[avr-gcc-list] Debugging avrgcc programs on windows

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging avrgcc programs on windows
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:36:00 +0100

Hi,

I'm new to avrgcc - I have used ImageCraft's avr compiler for years, and I
have used gcc for other processors (such as the 68332 and the msp430) for a
good while now, but this particular combination is new for me.  I haven't
had many problems getting the compiler itself to work, but now I am looking
for advice regarding debugging.

With ImageCraft, I used Avr Studio 3.53.  It was limited for some things - I
cannot properly "watch" structures and arrays, but mostly it works fine.  I
mostly use a jtag-ice on Mega AVRs, occasionally an ICE-200 for older AVRs.
It is a long time since I tried other versions of Avr Studio - 3.54 simply
did not work, the early versions of 4.x were utterly hopeless, and reports
quickly followed of new versions "upgrading" the firmware in emulators and
leaving them unusable.  Rather than risk that, I've stuck with the old
version.

However, perhaps it is time to move on - what do other avrgcc users use on
windows, along with a jtag ice?  And what about the avr-ice project for
using the jtag ice and gdb - has anyone got that working under windows?  (I
use gdb, along with gvd for a gui, for msp430 debugging.)

For linux debugging, does Avr Studio run well enough under Wine?  And is
jtag-ice complete enough for real use, or is it still experimental?

Many thanks for your opinions.

mvh.

David Brown
Norway.