Re: [avr-gcc-list] forcing address

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] forcing address
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:48:38 -0700

Marlin,

> I really have the space to spare so the lose is worth the gain. The
> .balign works as I was desiring. I tried it and it wanted to pad other
> stuff so I tried;
>
>             .section .text
>             .balign 256
>             .global sine_tbl
>     sine_tbl: .byte 0, ...
>          .balign 0
>
> And the .balign 0 seemed to cancel the .balign 256 and didn't pad
> any of the other code.

I don't think ".balign 0" is needed.  The ".balign" directive is more like
".org" in that it affects the location counter only at the point in the code
where it is declared.

This is of course very different from something like "#pragma pack(4)" when
used to control alignment in C structures.  After "#pragma pack()" all
structure alignment is affected until changed (or reset) with another
"#pragma pack()" directive.

> I am getting the idea from being on the list that it isn't a good deal
> to change versions at the drop of a hat.

Someone has to test the new stuff!  (That's what all of us reluctant Windoz
users do for Bill Gates! :-)

> Thank you for the amount of time and effort you have put in to
> help me. That is what is so neat about the GNU community.

Kudos need to go to Jason Kyle for maintaining this list, which I suspect is
mostly a thankless job!

Best regards,

Bruce

--