RE: [avr-gcc-list] compiler touching files?

From: Hermann Seib
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] compiler touching files?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:01:47 +0200

Hi Marlin,

> I am using the latest version of  gcc-avr from avrfreaks. I am also using
> Ultraedit 9.10 for the IDE. If I have 'lst' files open in the editor and
> then compile, the contents of the lst files changes and Ultraedit detects
> the changes and prompt if I want to reload the lst file(s). This
> is correct
> operation. I can save my *.c file(s) and compile then Ultra edit detects
> that the *.c file(s) contents, or creation time has changed, and
> prompts if
> I want to reload them. Is anyone else using Ultraedit and
> experiencing the
> same problem?
>
> THE QUESTION; is it possible that the compiler is touching the c
> or h files
> in some manner? I contacted Ian at Ultraedit and they have not
> heard of the
> problem.

If you're using the avrfreaks make files, then the cause of the problem is
the COFF-generation step; after the generation, this copies all files from
the COFF subdirectory back into the work directory... which causes the
hiccup.

The problem is in the file
  <basepath>avrfreaks\avr-make
in Block 9.

Don't remember how it looked like directly after installation (hey, that was
2 weeks ago :-), but the offending rule was this one (might look slightly
different, I tried to reconstruct it from memory):

%.cof: %.elf
        $(ELFCOF) $< $(OUT) $@ $*.sym
        $(CP) $(OUT)/$@ .
        $(CP) $(OUT)/* .

... which copies ALL SOURCE FILES BACK AGAIN.
I've replaced that by

%.cof: %.elf
        $(ELFCOF) $< $(OUT) $@ $*.sym
        $(CP) $(OUT)/$*.sym .