[avr-gcc-list] gdb-5.1 patch 0.0-pre7 available

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] gdb-5.1 patch 0.0-pre7 available
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:47:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

I've got a new gdb-5.1 patch available for mass consumption. It's been
rewritten to use the gdbarch facilities. This looks to be the direction
that gdb is headed, so it might make it easier to get this patch merged in
when it ready.

This is still a pre-release patch. There's still a few little details that
need to be cleaned, but overall it seems to be working extremely well. I
know of at least one person that is using it with my simulator to do real
debugging work on his project.

Now I need people to try it out and review it so I can find/fix any
remaining bugs I haven't come across yet.

For those of you still using avrmon-stk200, this patch will not work for
you. I had to remove the avrmon parts due to them using deprecated stuff.
This isn't as bad as it seems though. I've looked at the avrmon-stk200
host program code and I don't see why it couldn't be re-worked to use
gdb's remote serial protocol. I think in the long run that might be the
better approach. I'm interested in exactly how many people are still using
avrmon. Please email me. If enough of you ask, I might try to do the work
on avrmon myself (although I'd rather the avrmon maintainer did it).

For those of you using Scott Finneran's Avarice program, this patch should
work for you. Please note though that Scott is having some problems with
it. I've not had any problems myself except with a rather large program he
sent me. Except for the program he sent me, I haven't been able to
duplicate the problem. I'd would really help us for avarice users to try
this patch and let me know how it works for you.

Here's where you can get the patch:

  http://res099095.halls.colostate.edu/programs/simulavr/gdb-patches/
    gdb-5.1-avr-patch-0.0-pre7

Ted Roth