Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:14:11 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Erik Christiansen wrote:

A distrust of possible regressions in optimisation between compiler
versions (and these have occurred in our toolchain) is one of my
motivations for writing ISRs in assembler to start with. Being able to
upgrade gcc to gain bugfixes or size optimisations, with zero risk of
ISR timing change, leaves the developer with more time to build a good
product, I think.

Agreed.
If one needs cycle-accurate timing, write in assembler.
I have some rather lengthy ISRs written in assembler for just that reason.
If faster is better, C is often good enough, but not always.

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.