[avr-chat] Re: Fasching

From: bob
Subject: [avr-chat] Re: Fasching
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 09:36:36 +0100

On 02/03/11 09:26, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 04:19:32PM +0100, bob wrote:
>> On 01/03/11 16:03, Erik Christiansen wrote:
>>
>>> If memory serves me, here "volatile" is nearly as good as beer, for
>>> starting a discussion. :-)
>>
>> Have to disagree, BEER IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT, especially as it's fast
>> approaching 'Fasching' (some people would say 'carneval', but that's
>> more northern), here in the Black Forest.
>
> Oh if only it wasn't so far, I'd head back for that. It's so long since
> I spent a couple of months in MÜnchen [1], that I can't remember when
> it's Starkbierzeit. But I do remember that I liked a Doppelbock when
> they were in season.
>
> I used to have a different beer each evening after work. The guys in the
> office were amused when I protested that the only safe way to poor a
> Weißbier was standing in the bathtub.
>
> Ahh ... that reminds me of another visit, just before Christmas, and the
> atmosphere of the Kristkindlmarkt set up in Marienplatz, with snow and
> pine-planked GlÜhwein kiosks, not to mention the roasted almonds coated
> in hard toffee.
>
> Ah, them wuz the days. :-)
>
> [1] The winter of '82, as I recall.
>
> Erik
>
> P.S. In Denmark, we called it Fastelavn, borrowed from the Plat
>      'vastelavent'.

Sorry that I can't bring some Doppelbock, you're just too far away :-)
Those special beers are some of my favourites too, being beaten only by
some of the Belgian Trappist beers and, of course (as I am English),
british real ale.
Still, I'll enjoy a half(litre) or two in the cold here and think of you
in OZ, where it's no doubt warm.
BTW, don't some people get serious over just a discussion ?

Cheers,

Bob