[avr-chat] Question about HVPP with avrdude, AVR Dragon, and ATmega8

From: Steve Vigneau
Subject: [avr-chat] Question about HVPP with avrdude, AVR Dragon, and ATmega8
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi there... I've run into an issue with using HVPP on my AVR Dragon with
an ATmega8 and I was wondering if someone here may be able to validate
what I'm seeing and maybe have a fix.

I have an AVR Dragon fitted with a DIP40 ZIF socket holding an ATmega8,
connected per the Parallel Programming part of SCKT3200A2 in the Dragon
documentation. Programming works just fine using AVR Studio, but with
avrdude I'm unable to write the eeprom. Eeprom reading works fine, albeit
slowly, as if I put a programmed mega8 in the socket and do a verify, it
succeeds.

The command line I'm using is as follows:

avrdude -p m8 -c dragon_pp -P usb -U eeprom:w:SDrive.eep

The file used can be found here: http://nuxx.net/files/sdrive_nuxx/SDrive.eep

I've tried this with on Windows XP with avrdude v5.6 (via WinAVR) and on
OS X with v5.5 (via AVR MacPack) and the problem occurs both places.

Thanks very much for any help you can give...

-Steve