Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 18:43:39 -0400

  > I would like to clarify that my purpose in starting this thread wasn't
  > so much to ask, "How could the xz backdoor specifically have been
  > prevented?" (which seems pretty clearly impossible) but rather, "How
  > can we use this incident as inspiration for general-purpose
  > improvements to the GNU Coding Standards and related tools?" In other
  > words, even if a proposal wouldn't have stopped this particular
  > attack, I don't think that's a reason not to try it.

I agree -- you are posing the important question.

However, people have proposed ideas here that (it seems)
could have made the XZ crack harder to do, or increased
the likelihood of spotting it.  For instance, checking m4
files against standard sources. and maybe some others.

So let's not discard completely the idea of preventing
the XZ crack.