Re: AC_ARG_ENABLE and checking for unrecognized switches

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: AC_ARG_ENABLE and checking for unrecognized switches
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 10:11:34 -0600

Bob> A project can be made subordinate to another project without the
Bob> author of the subordinate project being aware of it.  This is a very
Bob> useful capability.  This capability is used by projects such as GCC.

Yeah, but the outer configure script could easily pass
--disable-option-checking.  Maybe it already does.  So, if the default
is to suppress checking (as was reported), then that seems backward.

More generally it would be nice if the outer configure would do some
kind of global checking, and if --help reflected the actual state of
what is available.  This stuff comes up all the time for gdb, which does
subdir configures like this: users either typo an option or are confused
because --help doesn't mention the option we ask them to pass.

Tom