PTHREAD_CFLAGS provided by AX_PTHREAD where best to be attached?

From: Dudziak Krzysztof
Subject: PTHREAD_CFLAGS provided by AX_PTHREAD where best to be attached?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:51:21 +0000

Hi,
For makefiles which build piece of software in two separate steps: compilation
then linking,
will it be better to attach  PTHREAD_CFLAGS to higher-level_CPPFLAGS than to
higher-level_CFLAGS variable?
Autotools along with libtool are used here, user-level variables (CFLAGS,
CPPFLAGS) are not manipulated through whole build chain.
I can manipulate variables only at Makefile.am -level.

I learned gcc expects -pthread option which translates among others to some
preprocessor define,
therefore I wonder if it won't be better to attach PTHREAD_CFLAGS to
higher-level_CPPFLAGS rather than
to higher-level_CFLAGS.

Regarding PTHREAD_CFLAGS the AC_PTHREAD manual talks about CFLAGS, not about
CPPFLAGS.
I guess attaching to ..._CFLAGS would be fine if building is made in one single
step.

Thanks
This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees and may
contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either
whole or partial, is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for the
message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free
from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted
virus.