Re: manual: Why use 'maude' as the example program name?

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: manual: Why use 'maude' as the example program name?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:59:13 +0000

On 25 February 2018 at 19:13, Jonas Thiem <address@hidden> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I haven't read this part of the docs myself. But for what
> it's worth, I think Maude looks a bit like a misspelling of Make and
> doesn't stick out that well, compared to "exampleprog" or something.
> Also, I personally would suggest it's good if it's obvious from the name
> what it is, and what it's not. (e.g. Maude could be mistaken as a
> reference to an actual tool or some technical term the reader might
> think they have missed) Not saying it needs to be changed, just throwing
> in another impression.

I changed it from "maude" to "program" in my (unofficial) attempt at
editing the automake manual:
http://buildsystem-manual.sourceforge.net/Program-and-Library-Variables.html#Program-and-Library-Variables
I've no current plans to push this rewrite further but maybe someone
will want to use some parts of it. One of my goals was to remove any
sense of personality from the documentation so that it was as boring
as possible, in order to focus on the subject without any
distractions.