Re: Should Automake still support Java?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Should Automake still support Java?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:06:56 -0500 (CDT)

I do not see the point in supporting compiled Java in Automake. The whole point of Java was that it can run in a VM. GNU support for compiled Java seems to have faltered. Although much useful work was done, people just did not start using compiled Java. The free software world seems to have adopted OpenJDK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK, http://openjdk.java.net/) and this is not even likely supported by Automake.

As someone who attempted to completely support Automake's Java tests, compiling everything from scratch (including the compiler), I can attest that it is a major PITA. I did mostly succeed but there was a Java runtime extracted from Eclipse that I never did get working correctly given that there was no useful documentation for how to make it work.

Please note that I am not a Java developer.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn